Until one night I was lying awake in bed and it hit me like a gold-plated World Championships cartridge that there was really no point in owning all those games if I never played them. I was acting like a glorified pack rat, hoarding games for all those systems for no reason other than to enlarge my e-dick. That's pretty dumb, not to mention something of a slap in the face to all those forgotten game developers who slaved long hours to create the cartridges that held my bookcases to the floor. Right then and there I vowed that I would not only saw down my backlog, I would keep myself honest by running a blog to tally the progress. To do this right, however, I needed a couple of rules. Or really, one rule.
Beating the game is optional. You've got to understand, my voyage is more about a mass rush of diverse stimulus than playing 'delete the cells' with an Excel spreadsheet. This is about seeing what the gaming world has to offer. It's about jumping out there and floundering in a sea of cartridges and discs and forming a bigger picture of the gaming world of the past thirty years. It's about gathering to myself the collective vision of countless artists, directors, programmers, and technicians. I don't need to see the final credits for every game - I've got Moby Games for that! More practically, I don't have the time to spend six hours at the minimum for a thousand different games. I'm pretty sure the Internets will explode before I get that done. As it is, even if I play a game for an hour or two a day I'm still looking at three years. Three years! Cut me some slack, man!
So here I am. Poised at the entrance to the arcade of dreams with a credit in my sweaty fist. By the time I come out I might be a changed man, I'm not sure. But it's a fact I will have shot, cut, punched, and kicked a whole bunch of pixels and polygons.
Wish me luck.
21 comments:
Dude, this is great. I got your blog from the post about MY blog on neogaf. I love the way you're going about this, and it seems like we're both kind of in the "oh crap, I have a ton of games" camp. Only yours is MUCH heavier. I think you're going about it the right way considering your load.
Additionally, I love your writing style and the way you're reviewing the games.
Would you be opposed to keeping in touch throughout both of our projects to check up on each other? It would be great to have an "accounabilibuddy" (yuk yuk).
fighting games
beat em ups
racing video game
shooting video game
Atari
capcom
namco
Nintendo
Sammy
sega
snk
taito
sega fighting game port to video game console
fighting game front information from killer list of video games next be
cyber troopers virtua on
publisher sega
platforms arcade Sega Saturn
genre fighting
Arcade system Sega Model 2
Virtua Fighter 2 used to be made by sega port to arcade PlayStation 2 iOS r zone
sega GĂȘnesis
racing game by namco
be final lap 3
developer namco
platforms arcade
genre racing
Arcade system namco 22
light gun shooter used to be made by sega next be
Virtua Cop 2
developer sega am2
publisher sega
series Virtua Cop
Platforms arcade Sega Saturn
genre light gun shooter
Arcade system Sega Model 2
golden axe Revenge of death adder
developer sega
publisher sega
series golden axe
Platforms arcade
genre beat em up
Arcade system sega 32
Virtua Fighter 4
developer sega
am2
publisher sega
series Virtua Fighter
Platforms arcade PlayStation 2
genre fighting
Arcade system sega Naomi 2
old school tekken be better than new school tekken
tekken in 90’s used to be made by namco
tekken 4
developer namco
series tekken
Platforms arcade PlayStation 2
genre fighting
Arcade system namco 246
tekken 5
developer namco
series tekken
Platforms arcade PlayStation 2
genre fighting
Arcade system namco 256
tekken 6
developer namco
series tekken
Platforms arcade PlayStation 3
genre fighting
Arcade system namco 367
original tekken
tekken 3
used to be made by namco port to arcade PlayStation
tekken 2 used to be made by namco port to arcade PlayStation
tekken tag tournament
article talk
developer namco
series tekken
Platforms arcade PlayStation 2
genre fighting
Arcade system namco system 12
namco
article talk
soulcalibur
tekken
ridge racer
tekken tag tournament 2 used to be made by namco Bandai port to arcade will u
fighting game coming out in 1992 by midway games
Mortal Kombat 3
developer midway
series Mortal Kombat
Platforms arcade
genre fighting
Arcade system midway x unit
super nes
PlayStation
sega GĂȘnesis
with mortal ultimate kombat
used to be made by midway port to arcade Sega Saturn
street fighter alpha
developer capcom
series street fighter
Platforms arcade PlayStation Sega Saturn game boy color
windows
Genre fighting
Arcade system cps system 11
soul edge
article talk
publisher namco
series soulcalibur
Platforms arcade PlayStation
Genre fighting
Arcade system namco system 11
soul calibur
publisher namco
series soulcalibur
Platforms arcade dreamcast iOS Xbox 360
Genre fighting
Arcade system namco system 12
Post a Comment